Yesterday, a friend shared this article: Can We Talk About Sustained Silent Reading from Middle Web.
Some observations or ways this resonates with me:
The idea of social reading is very important- students love to share their reading experiences. I believe this is why book clubs and reading partnerships work so well. Students also love to recommend books, which is why each year I have students write book reviews/recommendations on our class book blog. Having regular time for students to informally share their reading by engaging in book talks is another motivator. Our Grade 6 40 Book Challenge is yet another motivational reading tool. By encouraging students to read across genres and challenge themselves to read as many books as possible, they enter a classroom where reading is valued and celebrated.
The article suggested interviewing students during this silent reading time. I have done this and can attest to the fact that it works. I also have engaged a student right at the beginning of class in a quick chat about their book, with the class listening in while we talk about a book. For instance, seeing a book I enjoyed in a students hands as they are getting ready for class, I might casually call to them, "Hey, Johnny...I didn't know you checked that book out! That is one of my favourite dystopian books. Where are you in the story?". I might continue a conversation asking about what character is his favourite and why, or perhaps even engaging him to think about a theme. The other students are listening avidly and many times this allows the struggling readers a "fishbowl" of how to discuss a book. It also immediately increases the popularity of the book, sending others to check it out of our library.
